Tuesday 6 November 2012

Fantom chapter 4, part 1.

4. When the night wind howls.
  
   After what seemed like hours they reached the entrance to the cave.  The adjudicator strode up to a van that was standing nearby.  Another man dressed like the guards was standing by it, and from his conversation with the adjudicator Ruth gathered that the others had not yet been caught, but the guards were closing in on them.  The adjudicator opened the back doors of the van.  
   “In here,” she said, pointing her baton at the monsters.  “You too, girl.”  Ruth looked at her miserably, her bravado gone.  “Why do you want me?” she said.    
   “Get in,” the adjudicator repeated.  She produced her gun again, and threatened Ruth with it.  “Do as I say.  You” -this was aimed at Patrick- “help her in, and get in yourself.”  They did as they were told.  
   “Please, at least untie me,” Ruth pleaded, but to no avail.  The doors were slammed shut and they were trapped with the Fantoms.   
   She heard doors slamming and the engine was started.  Now it was noisy as well as everything else.  She sat trying to balance herself against the van wall, afraid and uncomfortable.  Her wrists hurt where the rope chaffed.  The van went round a sharp corner and, unable to steady herself, she almost fell into one of the Fantoms.  They were sitting hunched up, inactive, but Ruth could feel that they were still aware, and likely to react to any perceived threat.  
   They seemed to be driving very fast.  Another sharp bend, and Ruth lost her balance and fell over.  She didn’t bother trying to get up but lay there, facing the side of the truck.       
   “Ruth?”  Patrick spoke to her for the first time since he had stopped her climbing the stairs to escape.  She lay still and quiet.  She was afraid, but also angry with him.  Why had he done this?  
   “Are you ok?” Patrick asked in a whisper.  Still she didn’t reply.  
   “Ruth?  Are you all right?”
   She stared at the wall.  “Am I all right?” she said.  “Well, apart from being betrayed, threatened with a gun, tied up, thrown in the back of a van and locked up with those- things!  Other than that I’m fine, except perhaps knowing that I’m being kept prisoner by a mad woman with some plan to take over the world with monsters that I helped bring into existence.  Oh yes, I’m fine.”  
   “I’m sorry,” he said.  
   “Sorry?” she said.  “You betrayed us.”
   “I didn't know she was planning to do this!  She just asked me to get you all to go to the cave and sing Thespis- she said she’d heard we’d found an original score and she wanted to hear it.”
   “Didn’t you think that it was odd she wanted us to sing it in a cave?”
   “She said it had to be somewhere secret so that no one else could hear it and claim they’d discovered it.  She said she’d make sure we got the credit for having found it and that if we kept it quiet to start with we could make money from selling the score.”
   “So that’s what made you do this,” Ruth said bitterly.  “Money.”
   “I thought all she wanted us to do was to sing!” he protested.  “What’s wrong in that?  I didn’t know about all this.”  
   “But after she’d made us create those- those things-” she glanced fearfully at the silent Fantoms- “After you knew what she was doing, you still chose to stay with her, and stopped me escaping with the others.”  She turned over and glared at him.  “I hope you think what you’re going to get out of this is worth it.”
   He looked uncomfortable.  “I’m sorry,” he said again.  “But...look at me.  I’ve got no future as it is.  Even in G&S I get passed over in auditions, let alone any hope of getting a decent job, of success in the real world.  She offered me hope, told me she could help me get parts professionally.  Of course I wasn’t going to turn it down.”
   “But she threatened you along with the rest of us, when we thought those things were going to attack us.  You were as scared as I was then.  Wasn’t all she promised you just a trick to get you to bring us to her?”
   He shrugged, not meeting her eyes.  “What have I got to loose?”
   Ruth did not reply.  
   They had no idea where they were going.  The journey seemed to go on forever, weary afternoon leading on to wearier evening, and even wearier night.  Ruth lay in a corner, too scared to sleep.  It was dark in the van, only occassionally illuminated as they passed streetlights.  She could not see the Fantoms but knew they were there, lurking, in the darkness.  She was hungry, thirsty and uncomfortable.  She tried not to think of the remains of the picnic in the rucksack she still wore, but in the end thirst got the better of her pride.
   “Patrick?” she said.  He had retreated to the other side of the van and not spoken since their last exchange.  She heard a rustle and felt, rather than saw, him come towards her in the darkness.  
   “Yes?”
   “There’s some food and drink in my rucksack, but I can’t get it off with my hands tied.  Can you get it?”

   “I’ll have a go.”  She heard the zip and felt him rummaging around inside the bag.  
   “I think there’s a torch in there too,” she said.  A moment later a flash of light illuminated the darkness, and made her screw up her eyes.  Soon they were both eating and drinking what was left from their picnic.  Ruth wondered what had happened to the others.  Had they escaped?  Or were they also captives?

The story continues...

No comments:

Post a Comment